The day to day adventures of turning a 22 year old house into something updated, fun, and fresh for this family of five.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Birch Mural, Entry Redo

Day one of the Entry Redo, Redo.  :)

Please excuse the bad lighting.  These were taken tonight, with no natural light, and very dim artificial.


So, when I left the entry last, it was looking sort of like this, at least the main stairway wall was:


I decided, the photo wall (even considering the messed up state it was in) just wasn't going to do it for me.  I might eventually add 3 large photos back, but the rest will go elsewhere (repainted and refilled, of course).

So, first I removed the photos and was left with a clean slate looking something like so:


Without stirring the paint, so it was sort of soupy, I just started painting on the trees.  I then used q-tips and paper towels to quickly remove the paint to make the crevices.  I also used the natural marks left by the brush to my advantage, letting them work as bark-like texture.



I then went back and added another coat of white to create highlighting where wanted.





I plan to continue this around the entry way, but for one evening of work so far, I am REALLY happy with the way it has turned out so far.



And one with my little helper, just for good measure.  :)


Thank goodness for a perfectly timed long weekend.  Yay!  :)

Linking up to:






Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



Photobucket








Life in the Fun Lane
 
 
mmm button
C.R.A.F.T.
 

28 comments:

  1. That looks great! I love what it adds to the room~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These trees look amazing. I thought it was very cool wallpaper at first. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea! It looks stunning. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness - the birch trees are stunning and you are VERY talented indeed! What a unique and custom entrance way you'll have. Beautiful!
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trees look great! Are you going to hang your pictures back up? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You have some serious talent! Absolutely beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is turning out beautifully. You are doing this all free hand? Nice. The pictures looked nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I was aiming for something sort of dramatic and unexpected, so I'm happy you all like it. :)

    Bellatreasures- Right now I'm planning on hanging three large black framed, black and white photos on the wall gallery style. We have a similiarly composed photos of both of our boys at two weeks old, and we'll be adding a third in about 2 months. I'll probably have my husband hold them up for me first and if they don't look right, I don't mind changing my plan. So, yes, but possibly not? haha.

    Thanks everyone for the comments! You're all great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI, Courtney, thanks for stopping by! How fun your mural is. I wouldn't have a clue how to do something like that, but it looks like you are a natural. Hope you'll come back & visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you're so creative! The mural is so fabulous! I'm jealous I wish I had your skills!

    I love how it stands out ... it's very unique and gives the entryway a big pop! Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! I really wish I was that creative and talented! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I really thought that was vinyl! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Courtney, I LOVE this!!! I am in love with birch trees, please come paint some for me!! What an artistic eye you have. Thanks SO much for linking up to Style Feature Saturday! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great...you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those trees look fabulous! At first I thought they were vinyl clings! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing - You have done a fantasic job! Love it. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the way this turned out. You made it look so easy. Thanks for sharing!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is SO neat! you did a great job...come on over and link up to MMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The trees look fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely loving this idea!! You're just sooo creative! :D I'm so excited to be your newest follower of your delightful blog! I would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link your creations up at my weekly Fabulous Friday Finds party..every Friday! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so great! I plan to make a large painting similar to this, so thanks for the ideas!

    Amanda
    ourhumbleabowed.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. How have I missed you all this time? Your amazingly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it!....nothing stops my heart faster than a little boy standing next to an open paint can!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. THis is amazing! It looks beautiful! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous. You've inspired me to do a similar project in my own foyer. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my GOSH. You did those trees completely out of your head and freehand?!? This is amazing!!!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I love them!! :)